Poured in place rubber surfacing is a popular choice for playgrounds due to its durability and ability to withstand high volumes of traffic. Thankfully, rubber playground surfaces can be easy to clean and maintain, but if you need a few tips to make sure you are looking after your rubber playground surfaces properly, here is what you should know.
How Do You Clean Rubber Playground Surfaces?
The simple answer to this is having a regular cleaning schedule. A simple cleaning routine will ensure you keep on top of any pressing problems, and having the following cleaning supplies will ensure you cover every base:
- A vacuum cleaner or broom to lift out debris from in between the studded or textured rubber surfaces.
- A cleaning cloth or sponge.
- A mop and bucket.
- A mild cleaning agent such as a pH neutral detergent or you can fashion a basic cleaning solution with hot water and mild dishwashing soap or white vinegar.
How to Clean Graffiti From Rubber Services
Graffiti removal from rubber surfaces can be challenging, as it often depends on the type of paint used. However, there are several methods available for effectively cleaning graffiti without causing damage to the rubber surface. In this guide, we will outline the following steps to remove graffiti from rubber surfaces:
- Gently Scratch the Paint
Utilize a plastic scraper or a similar tool to gently scratch the paint from the surface. Be cautious during this process to avoid scratching or damaging the rubber beneath the paint.
- Apply Warm Water
Saturate the painted area with warm water, allowing it to penetrate and soften the paint. This will help facilitate the removal process.
- Wipe with a Sponge
Using a sponge or a soft cloth, gently wipe the affected area, applying pressure as necessary to remove the paint. Repeatedly rinse the sponge or cloth to remove any residual paint and to avoid spreading it across the surface.
- Utilize Rubbing Alcohol (if necessary)
If the previous steps were unsuccessful in removing the graffiti, apply rubbing alcohol to the painted area. Allow sufficient time for the alcohol to penetrate and dissolve the paint.
- Rinse with Warm Water and Mild Detergent
After using rubbing alcohol, soak the area with a mixture of warm water and mild detergent. This will help remove any residual alcohol and paint from the rubber surface. Wipe the area with a sponge or cloth, applying pressure as needed to ensure complete removal.
Conclusion: By following these steps, you can effectively clean graffiti from rubber surfaces while preserving the integrity of the material. Regular maintenance and prompt attention to graffiti incidents will help maintain the appearance and functionality of your rubber surfaces.
How to Clean Bodily Fluids From Rubber Surfaces
Encountering bodily fluids like throw up, urine, or blood on rubber surfaces can be an unpleasant experience. However, it is crucial to address these situations promptly and efficiently to maintain a hygienic and safe environment. Follow these steps to effectively remove bodily fluids from rubber surfaces:
- Wear protective gloves: Before starting the cleaning process, ensure you’re wearing disposable gloves to protect yourself from any potential health risks associated with handling bodily fluids.
- Remove solid waste: If dealing with solid waste, such as animal droppings, use a disposable plastic bag or a scooper to remove as much of the waste as possible before cleaning.
- Scrub the affected area: Use a cleaning brush or a disposable rag to gently scrub the fluid-stained area, ensuring you don’t cause damage to the rubber surface.
- Prepare a vinegar cleaning solution: Mix equal parts water and white vinegar in a spray bottle or bucket. The vinegar solution works as a natural disinfectant and cleaner, which is especially useful when dealing with bodily fluids.
- Apply the cleaning solution: Generously soak the affected area with the vinegar cleaning solution, ensuring the entire surface is thoroughly covered.
- Let the solution sit: Allow the vinegar solution to sit on the surface for 10-15 minutes. This will help break down and disinfect the bodily fluids present on the rubber surface.
- Scrub the area again: Using a cleaning brush or disposable rag, gently scrub the area again to remove any remaining residue.
- Rinse the surface: Use clean water to rinse the affected area, removing any remaining cleaning solution and residue.
- Air dry the surface: Allow the rubber surface to air dry completely. Ensure it is thoroughly dried before allowing foot traffic or play to resume on the surface.
- Remember to dispose of all used cleaning materials and gloves properly to maintain a clean and safe environment.
How to Clean Chewing Gum From Rubber Surfaces
Chewing gum adhered to rubber surfaces can be an annoyance for anyone who accidentally steps on it. However, there is an effective method to address this issue and restore the cleanliness of the rubber surface:
- Application of a freezing agent
Utilize a freezing agent, such as dry ice, to solidify the chewing gum. Be sure to handle the dry ice with caution, using protective gloves to avoid direct contact with your skin. Place the dry ice on top of the gum, ensuring that it is fully covered. Leave the freezing agent in place until the gum has completely hardened.
- Removal of the frozen gum
Once the gum has been thoroughly frozen, carefully use a scraper or a similar tool to remove it from the rubber surface. Be gentle when chipping away at the gum to avoid causing damage to the rubber material underneath. As you work, you may need to reapply the freezing agent if the gum starts to soften.
- Final cleaning
After successfully removing the frozen gum, inspect the rubber surface for any remaining residue. If necessary, use a mild cleaning solution (such as a mix of hot water and mild dishwashing soap or white vinegar) and a soft cloth or sponge to gently clean the affected area. Rinse the surface with water and allow it to air dry completely.
By following these steps, you can efficiently and safely remove chewing gum from rubber surfaces, ensuring a clean and inviting environment for all users.
How Often Should You Reseal Rubber Surfaces?
Poured in place rubber surfaces are equipped with a protective top layer designed to shield the underlying cushion from the effects of wear and tear. However, this protective layer can deteriorate over time, making it essential to address any signs of wear promptly to ensure the longevity of your rubber surface.
To maintain the structural integrity and color quality of your rubber surface, it is generally recommended to reseal the surface every 1 to 2 years. The exact frequency of resealing will depend on factors such as the amount of foot traffic, environmental conditions, and the overall wear on the surface. Regular inspections will help you determine the appropriate resealing timeline for your specific playground.
By conducting timely repairs and resealing your poured in place rubber surface as needed, you can preserve its durability, safety, and aesthetic appeal, ensuring that it continues to provide a reliable play area for children and visitors alike.
When Should You Seek Professional Help?
When confronted with issues that require urgent attention, such as surface deterioration, subsidence of the underlying layer, or visible vandalism, it is crucial to consult professionals.
At Custom Park Surfacing, we specialize in providing a wide range of services designed to maintain and rejuvenate playground surfaces, ensuring that your rubber playground continues to offer strength, durability, and vibrant aesthetics for years to come.
Our team of experienced professionals is committed to delivering exceptional workmanship and tailor-made solutions to suit your specific needs. By choosing Custom Park Surfacing, you can be confident that your playground will remain a safe and inviting space for children to explore and enjoy.
Don’t wait for your playground surface to become a safety hazard. Take action now to protect and preserve your investment. Contact Custom Park Surfacing today to discuss your rubber playground surfacing needs and discover how our top-quality products and services can make a lasting difference in your community.